Saturday, November 15, 2014

Scripture Cake


One of the things I look for at thrift stores are old cookbooks.  While strolling through The Southern Heritage Cakes Cookbook from 1983, which I'm not sure I want to call that old because I was graduating high school about that time, I found a recipe for Scripture Cake.

I did a little research and found that this is how young ladies would learn the scripture and remember the recipe.  The Pray Cook Blog has a recipe for the Scripture Cake.  Below is a pic of their cake and a link for you to get the recipe. :)

Scripture cake is also known as “Bible Cake”, “Scriptural Cake” and “Old Testament Cake” and was extremely popular in the latter part of the nineteenth century, especially in the southern Appalachians.  The cake was meant as a way to teach young girls baking and Bible verses.  The cake was sweet to eat, and a chance to modestly exhibit knowledge of the Bible.  It was fun in the form of an early trivia game, and a great dish to take to a church supper.  The original recipe didn’t include the ingredients only the amount next to the scripture. Mom and I recently used this recipe as part of a devotional we presented to our Community Bible Study leaders.  It was fun, filled with scripture with a very tasty ending! 


scripture cake apple fig walnut

http://praycookblog.com/2013/02/27/scripture-cake/

I haven't made it yet but I do intend to.

Let me know if you make it and what you think about it.

Blessing :)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Justine, I may end up leaving 3 comments because I keep trying and am not sure they are going through! Technology! ha! Thank you for linking this Scripture Cake to my blog. It is a fun cake to make and filled with tasty morsels of the Word of God as we taste and see that the Lord is good! Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds yummy and purposeful, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm that cake sounds delicious. I love apples and figs together. Will definitely have to try this.

    ReplyDelete